As part of our certification mission, Johns Creek will continue to get homes NWF certified. You can help us by certifying your backyard by following an easy application. Below are step-by-step instructions on how to complete the printable form. The online form will guide you through the application. The printable form takes several weeks after mailing to receive certification. The online form will provide immediate certification if application is accepted.
YOU DO NOT NEED TO LIVE IN JOHNS CREEK TO CERTIFY YOUR PROPERTY - EVERYONE IS ENCOURAGED TO CERTIFY THEIR BACKYARD!
For more information about the NWF Certified Wildlife Habitat program, please click here.
Printable form instructions follow. (Online form walks you through step by step.)
1. Fill out your name, address, phone number, and email at the top of page 1.
2. Check Urban, Suburban (check for Johns Creek), or Rural. It is okay if your official address says Alpharetta or Duluth - if you are in the Johns Creek city limits it will still be counted for the project.
3. Check the approximate size of your property, and check the appropriate type of property.
4. Look at Food Sources (such as berries, pollen, bird feeders, etc.) and check all of the listed sources you have. You only need 3, but more is better.
5. Look at Water Sources (such as a stream, bird bath, pond, etc) and check all of the listed sources you have. You only need 1, but again more is better.
6. Look at Places for Cover (such as evergreens, dense shrubs, wooded areas, ground cover, etc) and check all of the listed sources you have. You only need 2, but again more is better.
7. Look at Places to Raise Young (such as trees, bushes, birdhouses, etc) and check all of the listed sources you have. You only need 2, but again more is better.
8. Look at Sustainable Gardening Practices (such as limiting water, using mulch, planting native plants, composting, using ground cover, etc) and check all of the listed sources you have. You only need 2, but again more is better.
9. Send the form along with $20 to the National Wildlife Federation at the address below
National Wildlife Federation
11100 Wildlife Circle Drive
Reston, VA 20190-5362
10. 4-6 weeks later, you will receive: a certificate from NWF for your property, membership to the National Wildlife Federation, a subscription to the National Wildlife Federation’s monthly magazine, the option to buy a sign for your habitat, and THE JOY OF SAVING WILDLIFE.
If you don’t have enough checks in any categories, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the National Wildlife Federation for advice.
Do you have questions? Please email us at email@example.com.